Friday, June 17, 2011

Vegan New York

New York was an absolute blast! We stayed around Times Square and did all the touristy stuff, as well as eating everything vegan in sight.

 Sacred Chow was an amazing first taste of New York.
I tried the biscuits and gravy with scrambled tofu. Delish! Andy had the frittata which was also really nice.




 We headed over to Babycakes next for some take away treats.
What a cute little cafe. Pretty crowded and hustle bustle. Cakes are in demand!
We got a few different things, some cookies, cupcakes and donuts.
My personal favourite was the brownie cupcake with mint icing.



 Moo Shoes was close by to Babycakes. Andy got some great shoes and they have the cutest, fluffiest kitty there just hanging out.




Angelica Kitchen was a nice place we had brunch another day. Nice whole foods. Nice atmosphere.










We kept stopping by Whole Foods on a daily basis either to get a cheap breakfast or snacks to fill the backpack with. Travelling is hard work and snacks are essential! I became addicted to Sweet and Sara peanut butter smores and at $5 a pop it became an expensive habit! Another filthy addiction I picked up was Peanut Butter and Jelly Lara Bars
We also found the coveted "Tweeps" when we went to Lula's Sweet Apothecary. While there, I enjoyed a Root Beer ice cream which blew my mind.



We also headed over to MoMA and checked out the Warhol, Picasso, and Vintage kitchen exhibitions. We also saw our favourite painting, Starry Night by Van Gough. AMAZING!!







 John's of 12th was accidentally discovered a few steps away from Angelica Kitchen. Vegan pizza and pasta. They also have vegan cannoli. Does life get any better than this? The restaurant was dark and candle lit for those who enjoy that but it just made my photos look bad.


Another mind blowing meal was at the Candle Cafe. The little brother/sister of Cafe 79. The service here was FANTASTIC and the food was even better. We had our first try of chimmichurri here and it was almost inhaled on sight. The serving sizes were huge and all the uptowners were eating this up. Literally. The dessert is something I will never forget and I would fly back to New York to eat it again but instead I bought the cook book so I can make it myself. Chocolate mousse pie in a cookie crumb crust. Enough said!

 We saw the Addams Family on Broadway. It sucked.

We hung out in Central Park trying to find the bridge from Home Alone: Lost in New York.

New York is huge and incredible and being vegan was so easy there.
I think I left my heart on the Lower East Side.

No comments: